Atal Tinkering Laboratory
"Quoted from Atal Tinkering Laboratories Guidelines 2017-18"
Government of India
Atal Innovation Mission
GUIDELINES FOR SETTING UP OF ATAL TINKERING LABORATORIES (ATL)
1.1. The Government of India has setup the Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) at NITI Aayog. Realising the need to create scientific temper and cultivate the spirit of curiosity and innovation among young minds, AIM proposes to support establishment of a network of Atal Tinkering Laboratories (ATL) in India. ATL is a work space where young minds can give shape to their ideas through hands on do-it-yourself mode and learn / develop innovation skills. The vision is to ‘Cultivate 1 Million children in India as Neoteric Innovators’.
2.1. The objective of this scheme is to foster curiosity, creativity and imagination in young minds and inculcate skills such as design mind-set, computational thinking, adaptive learning, physical computing, rapid calculations, measurements etc. Young children will get a chance to work with tools and equipment to understand what, how and why aspects of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
3. Features of Scheme
3.1. ATLs can be established in schools (minimum Grade VI – X) managed by State/ Central Government, Local body (Municipality / Nagar Nigam), Private trusts/society or Tribal/Social welfare department etc.
4. Funding Support
4.1. The applicant schools would be provided financial support in the form of Grant-in-aid for a maximum period of 5 years.
4.2. Key aspects of funding ATLs in schools:
- One time establishment charge of up to Rs. 10.00 lakh would be provided for each ATL in the first year for instruments, prototyping equipment like do-it-yourself kits, 3D printer, electronic tools, etc. An illustrative list of equipment and kits is at Annexure V. A checklist of mandatory equipment and other infrastructure would be communicated to selected schools. The schools will procure equipment and kits at their end, however the AIM will provide support for the same.
- An amount of Rs. 10.00 lakh would be provided for each ATL over a maximum period of 5 years for operation of ATLs, maintenance of equipment, purchase of consumables, organising popular science lecture series, innovation events and other scientific activities, competitions and payment of honorariums to the faculty and mentors involved.
4.3. Contributions from philanthropic and other institutions and under Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) would be encouraged for financing / upgrading ATLs. Local Industry / Institution will be encouraged to support the initiative by creating subject/domain specific exhibits/tinkering laboratory facilities.
The applicant school would have to provide at least 1,500 Sq. Ft. of built up space. Applicant schools from hilly / Himalayan and island states, UTs would have to provide atleast 1,000 Sq. Ft. of built up space. The existing facilities for meeting rooms and video conferencing among others can be used to supplement the laboratory space.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does a school apply for Atal Tinkering Lab Scheme?
Niti Aayog, from time to time, opens the application link on its website for schools to apply online. Based on the selection criteria mentioned on the Niti Aayog guidelines, schools are selected through a completely non biased criteria based selection process. Once the school is selected, they get notified from the Niti Aayog, Atal Tinkering Lab department.
- What happens once the School is selected?
Niti Aayog shall complete its formalities with the school and remit funds to the school in its designated bank account as per the guidelines provided by Niti Aayog.
- Where does the School buy material from? Has Niti Aayog selected or authorised any vendors for supply of the material?
No. Niti Aayog has not authorised any vendor for supply of the material. The School has to select the vendor based on its criteria of material supply. We advise the school to check the background of the vendor in terms of the following criteria’s which will help the school to select the best vendor for its students:
- Whether the Vendor is a just a Trader or STEM Educator?
- Whether the Vendor is reputed company with a reach all over India and other parts of the world?
- Whether the Vendor has adequate staff and infrastructure to support your school?
- Whether the Vendor is helping the school to train their teachers in the STEM and Robotics Program?
- Whether the Vendor has any National as well as International Affiliations from reputed organisations?
- Whether the Vendor has conducted International Level Robotics Competitions?
- Whether the Vendor is capable of bringing CSR funds for the benefit of our Students and School? Has the Vendor brought any funds?
- What is the operational length of the Vendor company? Check whether they are just formed to take benefits of the ATL funding?
- Whether the Vendor has developed its own syllabus, curriculum, study material, teaching presentations for the benefit of teaching quality syllabus to our students?
- Whether the Vendor is providing exposure to our students by supporting School and Students to participate in National and International Level Competitions?
- Whether the Vendor is providing hand holding and mentoring services Free of cost?
- What precautions should a school take while starting Atal Tinkering Lab?
First of all, please note that the Atal Tinkering Lab objective is to foster curiosity, creativity and imagination in young minds and inculcate skills such as design mind-set, computational thinking, adaptive learning, physical computing, rapid calculations, measurements etc. Young children will get a chance to work with tools and equipment to understand what, how and why aspects of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
Hence, a school must be careful in selection of the vendor since School will require a lot of hand holding, mentoring and teaching services throughout the period of Atal Tinkering Lab. At the same time, we together, must try to make this as a sustainable model to inspire students and provide them with a conducive environment to nurture their curiosity and innovative mindset.
- What is the profile of IndiaFIRST™ ROBOTICS? What is the relationship of IndiaFIRST™ Robotics and Habib Animatos Pvt. Ltd.?
As the name suggests, our vision and efforts has always been for IndiaFIRST™ Robotics is a brand name of Habib Animatos Pvt. Ltd. which was established in the year 2009. Please find the highlights of the company’s illustrious work as per below:
- 9 years in Operations
- Reach in over 1000+ schools
- PTC, USA’s K-12 Partner for Last 09 years
- 500,000 nos. students trained and Certified
- Own Educational Robotics Kits Manufacturing and R&D setup
- 120+ Robotics Training Centers in 11 States & 35 cities
- International Operations in Libya, Jordan, Kuwait & Dubai, Africa, USA
- Collaboration with Dept. of Electronic Science, Pune University
- Received Appreciation Letter from Shri. Narendra Modi & Ramanlal Vora
- Company founded by an educationist who has started a Pune University Affiliated Jr. College, Sr. College, Management Institute in year 2008
- How does IndiaFIRST™ Robotics helps schools who have been selected in Atal Tinkering Lab Scheme?
IndiaFIRST™ Robotics is committed to STEM revolution. In Fact, being operational since 2009 and having worked in the STEM education field since the year 2001, we are completely dedicated and in sync with the requirements for the STEM education and Robotics Education activities.
We have conducted India’s first ever international FTC Competition in Balewadi stadium, Pune in the year 2011-12 where more than 5000 nos. parents, educators, students had visited. Companies like PTC, USA, John Deere, Rockwell Collins, Nypro, SAEINIDA, Red FM 93.5, Rotary Club had extended their sponsorship and we had sent a team of 11 students and 2 mentors to St. Louis, USA to participate in the International competition representing India.
We offer our FREE Services to Schools under ATL:
- a. Teacher Training:
We shall train all teachers in the school willing to undergo STEM Education and Robotics Training in a very fun learning manner prompting them to undergo a unique experience which will help them during their teaching period. Aligning all teachers for the STEM objective would also help to develop a conducive environment in the school for promoting STEM education and experimental learning.
- b. Content & Teaching Material:
We shall provide them with latest curriculum, Study Material, Step-by-Step Guides, Manuals, Video’s and animations on Arduino Uno, Arduino Nano, Raspberry Pi, Internet of Things, 3D Printing Technology, World Class 3D CAD/CAM Software with original license copies for designing various products and taking output on the 3D Printer, Various Project based learning processes, Guidance and Mentoring.
- c. Maintenance & Equipment Support:
We shall also provide them with Maintenance and Support for instrument breakdown, new material purchase, replacement of faulty material, etc. We shall help the schools to obtain the services of manufacturing defaults and also train them to use the material diligently.
- d. International and National Robotics Competitions:
Our expert and experienced team will also provide them with Robotics Competition experience by preparing them for participating in National as well International Robotics Competitions.
- e. Funding and Sponsorships:
We shall also arrange for industry and academia tie-ups and help the ATL Schools to generate sponsorship funds for expenses like Robotics Competition participation, New Material Purchase, Manpower Expenses, etc.
We request you to provide us the opportunity to work with your School’s ATL Robotics Lab by appointing us as “Your Preferred Partner In Success” for the equipment and support required under ATL Scheme.
- Any additional and relevant information which will help Schools to set-up world class Atal Tinkering Lab through IndiaFIRST™ Robotics?
ADDITIONAL RELEVANT INFORMATION:
- We have the ability and reach to service and support multiple locations in India with trained and expert Staff comprising of Electronic Engineers and Mechanical Engineers coupled with IT Engineers.
- With our In-house R&D team, we are able to initiate technology based new products suitable for learning and experiments of school students as well as teachers
- We follow a holistic methodology of training all the teachers in school on STEM education and Robotics Engineering for helping them to support the STEM cause in School.
- We have been able to raise sponsorship money of more than Rs. 80 lacs from corporate companies for support the cause of STEM and Robotics.
- Our International Partners like PTC, USA, and Aliyance Mechatronics, helps us to gain access to international teaching methodology on STEM and Robotics.
- With our experience of conducting international level Robotics Competitions with Industry Participation, we will be able to give a wonderful learning experience to students learning under ATL in various States of India.
- Our expertise in Electronics and Robotics as well our ability to manufacture quality products at LOW cost provides us the edge for servicing students, teachers and schools on cutting edge technology.